Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New Recipe for July

"Take It Easy Posole" was my new recipe for the month (#14 on the list). It was so easy to make and it had a great flavor to it. These are the only ingrediants plus a cup of water that I needed.I did add some hamburger but it really didn't need it. I just added it for Jimmy. It does call for hominy and I found out half way through dinner that Jimmy doesn't really care for it. I will probably make it again and leave out the hominy and just see how that works. I also left out the cilantro because I always buy cilantro and it ruins before I use it or before I can use all of it so I just saved my .33 cents haha. This is the finished product.

Here is the recipe if you want to try it out!

1 6 3/4-oz package Spanich rice pilaf mix
1 14-oz can vegetable broth or reduced sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 14 1/2-oz can golden hominy, rinsed and drained
1 4 1/2 oz can diced green chile peppers
1 16-oz can low sodium tomatoes, cut up
1/2 cup snipped fresh cilantro
Fat free dairy sour cream (optional)
Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)

1. In a large saucepan combine rice mix, seasoning packet, broth, water, oregano, and cumin. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add hominy and undrained chile peppers. Continue cooking about 5 minutes more or until rice is tender. Stir in undrained tomatoes and the 1/2 cup cilantro. Cook and stir until heated through. If desired, garnish with sour cream and additional snipped cilantro. Makes 3 main dish servings.
The recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens Everyday Mexican Cooking magazine.

I put sour cream and cheese on ours. Sour cream is never optional at my house... we put it on everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment